Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Candida Treatment: Intro to my Personal Journey


I, being a licensed acupuncturist with 10 years clinical experience, have decided to follow a protocol for a natural (non pharmaceutical) treatment of what is likely a chronic candida infection. I intend to document my self-treatment in hope that doing so will 1) contribute to my understanding of the condition and its treatment,  2) provide information for others who may be suffering from yeast-related illnesses, and 3) benefit my own acupuncture clients with similar needs.

I probably will not describe gross aspects, but, if I do, I will try to be delicate about it--unless I think it is important, in which case, I may be blunt--so consider yourself warned.

Because of my training and experience as a healthcare professional, I feel comfortable treating myself.  The standard "Don't Try This At Home" applies, so seek guidance of a healthcare provider if you suspect you are suffering from symptoms of a chronic yeast infection.

The protocol I'm following was developed by S. Colet Lahoz, RN, MS, LAc., who offers phone consultations.

The Diagnosis

My primary reference source is Conquering Yeast Infections, by S. Colet Lahoz. In it is a reference to Dr. Crook's Yeast Questionnaire. The extensive questionnaire in Lahoz's book runs about 8 pages. I haven't finished that one yet, but I found the original questionnaire online:

From Flora-balance.com

I scored 230 (Yeast-connected health problems are almost certainly present in women with scores more than 180 , and in men with scores more than 140 .)

I will retake both questionnaires every 3 to 6 months as a way to quantify progress.

This should be an interesting journey. In the next couple of posts, I'll describe the first steps of the protocol, including the diet and supplements I'll be using. The supplements have been ordered. Once they arrive, I'll start the treatment. Until then, I'm drinking coffee (which will be eliminated from my diet), and eating the last bit of sweets, and breads and fruits that I will not be allowed for a least the next 3 months, maybe longer. I have a feeling this isn't going to be pretty.

No comments: