Monday, September 27, 2010

Back Pain Study

Brian Berman and colleagues of the University of Maryland School of Medicine published findings of a review of acupuncture for back pain in the July issue of the New England Journal of Medicine.

From Psychology Today
 + Most people (70%) have experienced serious lower back pain; indeed, lower back pain is one of the most common reasons for visits to a physician. Low-back pain can be disabling, but usually the pain responds to treatment. Unfortunately some people (7%) develop chronic low back pain that cannot be resolved with drugs or physical therapy. Many of these people turn to alternative therapies, including acupuncture, for relief.

+ A study of 6359 patients suffering chronic lower back pain compared the results of providing these patients with acupuncture, no treatment, or treating them with mock acupuncture. The results showed that both the patients receiving real acupuncture and the ones receiving mock acupuncture experienced significant pain relief compared to people who received no treatment.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Lisa!

Back pain is sometimes difficult to cure. However, there are still some therapies and effective treatments which are really effective.

I suffered lower back pain three years ago. I was given some medications to ease the pain but they didn't fully cure my condition. Last year, Emma (my best friend) mentioned about a chiropractor (Brooklyn Center, MN). At first, I was skeptical about chiropractic. When I went to the chiropractic (Brooklyn Park MN) clinic, I immediately asked the practitioner what are the things he's doing. He explained his healing procedures very well and didn't give any sort of medication for my back problems.

I like the idea that my treatment doesn't include any medicine and instead uses natural therapies like heat, water, light, massage, and acupuncture. Now I'm on my way to full recovery!

Healtone.com said...

Hello,
This is the nice post and this post is really appreciable , I like this post and i appreciate your experience sharing . if you are looking for Back healing - Back pain healing you can find more relevant information from here

Jamie said...

Acupuncture has been shown to relieve stress and common body pain. It needs more further study and implementation across medical field.
Kitchener Waterloo acupuncture